Here’s a little bit about us…
We’re the Robins Air Force Base Library, located in Building 905 on – where else? – Robins Air Force Base, in Warner Robins, Georgia. You are currently reading our blog, and you can find our hours of operations here. We have over 52,000 items in our collection, including books, audiobooks, magazines, newspapers, DVDs, research databases, foreign language help, and downloadable materials. We specialize in knowledge and entertainment, and lots and lots of both.
Our turn offs include: Inconsiderate people, rainy days, patrons who are somehow louder than us (which is a feat, we assure you), people are who are not curious, people who don’t use coasters or who do use too many napkins, being late, dirty keyboards, finding used chewing gum, not being able to find the second sock to your pair, especially when you’re already late, and… Well, our list of pet peeves could go on and on and on…
Our turn ons include: CONTESTS!
Okay, that’s us. And now we would like to know a little about you…
And what better way to do that then a survey. A survey and a CONTEST. Prize: A $20 gift card from Best Buy. All you have to do is fill out the 50 questions below (which are short, simple, and easy, and will honestly take you very little time at all), and email us the answers at:
It could not be any simpler than that, could it?
Well, we’re going to find out. But, without further ado, the questions…
01. How often do you use the library on base?
02. Would you say that you check out books and/or movies from the library on base more than any other service that we provide?
03. Would you say that you come in to enjoy our comfy chairs and couches and relax for a few moments glancing at one of our magazine subscriptions more so than any other service that we provide?
04. Or, would you say that you use our computers more than any other service that we provide?
05. Please give yourself an extra 10 points if you’re filling out this survey while using one of our computers right now.
06. How many books would you read in a given year? We’re talking about fiction and non-fiction, including anthologies or short story collections.
07. How many books would you say that you claim to read to strangers to look smarter? (It’s cool, we all do it.)
Edited to add: The specific wording of this question has proved problematic for some of our patrons taking this quiz. We meant to ask how many books have you told strangers that you read in order to look smarter and/or cooler. We didn’t mean to ask how many books have you physically read to a person who is a stranger to you. Although, if you have an answer to that question, we’d
08. Do you believe in love at first sight?
09. What is your favorite novel?
10. What is your favorite film adaptation of a novel?
11. What was the last movie that you saw in a movie theater?
12. Would you say that mankind in inherently good or evil, or neither and it doesn’t really matter?
13. If there was an apartment building or an office building that actually had a 13th floor, and your apartment or office was one of those un/lucky enough to be on that 13th floor, would you be okay with that?
14. The quick brown fox jumps over the _________?
15. Who is your favorite author?
17. What is the last book that you ever read by that author?
18. What is your favorite Michael Crichton book and/or movie?
19. What is your favorite Stephen King book and/or movie?
20. When was the last time a machine or a piece of technology really let you down?
21. Have you ever read any books by James Patterson?
22. Did you know that James Patterson has written or “written” (his name appears along side that of a co-author on the cover, but the co-author may or may not have done the actual “writing” contained within the book) books in the adult fiction, adult non-fiction areas, as well as fiction and non-fiction for young adults?
23. If you answered “Yes” to both questions #21 and possibly #22 as well, then how many books by James Patterson have you read?
24. How many of those books, if you don’t mind us asking, were checked out from the Robins AFB Library?
25. Why have you read so many James Patterson books?
26. The same question as question #21, but with Clive Cussler instead of James Patterson.
27. We have a puzzle set out in the library for our patrons to come and help us put together. Once completed, the puzzle will reveal itself to be a depiction of a famous work of art by a famous post-Impressionist artist. If you wanted to tell us the name of that work of art or the name of the artist, that would be great, but what we really want to know is: What is the one and only work of art that this artist sold in their lifetime?
28. Name one or more actors who have portrayed that artist in film or television.
29. Referring back to question #03, you did know that we have comfy chairs and couches, right?
30. Referring back to question #28, you did know that we have a wide variety of magazine subscriptions for you to peruse through, right?
31. If you win this contest, do you want the $20 gift card that is listed above as the prize?
32. Or, for your prize awarded for your hard work, would you rather instead win the chance to take a picture with your favorite library worker?
33. It’s a tempting offer, isn’t it?
34. What was the most played song on American radio in the 20th century and how many times was it played?
35. Now that you’ve found our blog, and we are so glad that you have, what kind of things would you like to see on our blog?
36. Can you cook?
37. And regardless of your answer to question #36, do you like to cook?
38. If you answered “yes” to question #36, or even if you didn’t, and regardless of your answer to question #37, do you like to read cook books or watch cooking shows on TV?
39. Count carefully: What number post is this on our blog? And, for an extra point, how many posts are there on our blog at the time of you answering this survey?
40. This is a funny picture:
Please write a funny caption for that picture.
41. We respectfully request that you do not fail to notice that that dog is wearing a top hat and a monocle, and is smoking a pipe. This is not a question.
But bonus points will be awarded if you can tell us what an appropriately funny name would be for this dog.
Further bonus points will be awarded if the name you choose starts with either Mr. or Mrs. i.e. “Mr. Bigglesworth.” Please do not submit “Mr. Bigglesworth” as your answer for this question.
42. What is, according to Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, the meaning of life? Or, put more simply, what is the answer to “the Ultimate Question to Life, the Universe, and Everything?”
43. What is a group of crows known as?
44. What is a group of frogs known as?
45. What is a group of unicorns known as?
46. Animals are not allowed to use human language in China. Seriously. It’s against the rules. This rule caused what famous book by a famous author to be banned in China?
Hint: This book is widely considered to be a work for children. You’ve seen movies made of it, some live action and some animated. Songs have been written about this book.
47. Other than the Robins AFB Library, what other FSS/Services facilities would you say that you frequent the most on Robins Air Force Base?
Also, check out the new FSS website: http://www.robinsfss.com
48. What was the last book you read that you’d really recommend to a stranger if you had to, or if you were asked to in a survey much like this one?
49. How did you first discover our blog?
50. Make up a question and give us the answer. We’re not so concerned with the question, but we’d really like to know the answer…
Okay, that’s our survey! And again, all you have to do to enter our contest is to answer these questions, #s 1 thru 50, and email those answers to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put some variation of “Survey” or “Survey Answers” or “CONTEST!” in the subject line. The contest closes on 04/01/12 at midnight, and we’ll announce the winners the following week.
Wait, did that say “winners” and not just “winner” on it? That’s right, it did. Not only will we be giving out our award to the person who gets the most answers right, but we’ll also pick a random entry, or perhaps the person who’s answers amuse us the most, and make them a winner too. Gotta love those odds.
When you send us your questions, please include your name, your email address (of course), and possibly your phone number. And your phone number, especially if you don’t check your email that often. Please be at least 16 years old, or older, or have a parent or guardian’s permission to participate (regardless of how old you are). If you win, we ask that you please come in and pick up your prize and let us take a picture of you to share with the world here on our blog, and perhaps interview you about how you got to be so smart.